IMPORTANT NOTE: You MUST be an administrator, in Facebook, for the charity Facebook Fan page or Facebook Group. That means that the email address you use to log into Facebook must be an administrator for the Fan page/Group. If you aren't an administrator for the Fan page/Group, you will not be able to set this up.
Here we provide a step by step process for connecting your Facebook Fan Page or Facebook Group to your iGive Cause.
- First go into Facebook and log out. (Why? We want to make sure you are going to be logging into Facebook using the email address that is an administrator for the Facebook Fan Page/Group Page. Lots of folks have multiple Facebook accounts and if you aren't logged into the right one, this won't work.)
- Next, go to iGive and login to your personal iGive member account. (Why? To do anything on iGive.com you must have a personal member account and you must be logged into it.)
- Now, log into the Cause Menu & Options page with your Cause ID and Cause password. Your Cause ID was sent to the email address designated as the Cause Administrator in iGive. If you don't have this info, you can open a support ticket and we can help you. (Your Cause password may not necessarily be the same as your member password.) You will need to follow the steps for Facebook Fan Page, then again for the Facebook Group page as noted in screenshots below.
- Once you are logged into your cause in iGive and are on the Facebook Options screen, you should see a page that looks like the one below. Click the "Get Started" button to start setting up the iGive/Facebook connection.
- After you click "Get Started" your browser will be redirected to Facebook where you will need to login to your personal Facebook account (the one which is the administrator for the cause's Facebook Fan Page/Group). That page looks like the one below. Enter your personal email address and Facebook information into this screen and click the "Login" button.
- The next screen you'll see on Facebook is requesting access to your personal Facebook account for iGive. Why? In order to get permission to even see which Fan pages/Groups you are the administrator of, you have to grant these permissions. If you say no here, we can't go further. Click the "Okay" button to give us the first set of permissions required. (Clicking "Okay" does NOT give iGive permission to post to your personal Facebook page.)
- The next Facebook screen requests permission to allow iGive to post "as you" to your own personal facebook page. You control what is posted to your page from the "Personalization" page on iGive. Granting this permission to iGive will allow us to post to your page and your Fan Page/Group when you shop and support your cause. We can also post links encouraging your friends to use iGive to support your cause as well. Click the "Okay" button to proceed.
- The final Facebook page (below) requests permissions to "manage your pages." Why? Without this permission Facebook won't even allow us to lookup what page you manage let alone post to them on your behalf. Everything we've done so far was just to get to this point. This is the crucial step that tells Facebook that you want iGive.com to see the Fan page(s)/Groups you administer. Click the "Okay" button to proceed.
- We're finally done with the Facebook side of things so it is back to iGive. You should be automatically redirected to a page that looks like the one below. You should see your cause Fan Page shown in the table. The only thing left to do is click the "Link Now" button which will tell Facebook that you are giving the final permissions to iGive to post to your Fan page/Group. Click the "Link Now" button to proceed.
- You'll need to confirm you really want to do this. Click "Ok" when you see the question below.
- You are all done!
- We've preset the frequency of the various kinds of posts for you to follow best practices. You can change the settings as needed. You can do a test post using the "Post a Test Message to Facebook" button on the bottom of the page to make sure everything is working. After clicking, switch over to Facebook and check out the post. If you ever have any problems or want to stop iGive from posting to your page anymore, you can click the "Delete iGive/Facebook Connection" button.